One of the biggest changes that we’ve seen in New Zealand in the last 5 years is the demographics of New Zealand.
According to Stats NZ, over 500,000 new Kiwis arrived into New Zealand with the intention of staying for 12 months or longer in the last 5 years. That's larger than the size of the Waikato region.
With an annual growth rate of 11%p.a. since 2013, new Kiwis is the fastest growing consumer segment in the history of New Zealand.
With a highly diverse new Kiwis shaping the new face of Aotearoa, Kiwi businesses need to ensure that their brands are adapting to this significant change.
Old school thinking when it comes to brand trial is simple and straight forward as a three step process: Awareness – Consideration – Trial.
Yes that may be correct for someone who grows up accustom to the brand – you’ve seen the brand, you know what the product does, you know where it fits in your life. Just a simple advertising trigger will nudge the customer to consider purchasing the product.
However, for someone who is new to a country, every brand is foreign in their eyes.
So how can Kiwi brands position itself on the shopping list for the 350 new Kiwis arriving every. Single. Day?
Brand Relevance - Update and realign resources.
- Does it make sense to allocate only 3% of marketing budget to target new Kiwis when we know for a fact that 25% of Kiwis are born overseas?
- When was the last time you updated your segment strategy that shows new Kiwis’ net fiscal power is up to 15x more than those who are locally born?
Brand Perception - Nurture the right brand persona.
Brand Consideration - Right Place. Right Time. Right Message.
- 65% of readers said information they get from newspapers is trustworthy, compared to just 33% for online according to "Nielsen: Consumer and Media Insights 2016."
- In addition, there are 3 times more people who trust ads in newspaper than on social media, with only 24% of consumers trust advertising on Facebook according to "Colmar Brunton: Trust, advertising receptivity and engagement 2017."
- Is your brand appearing at the right touch points for new Kiwis?
- How is your brand message cutting through and shining above others?
- Do you know what is your brand consideration score?
Brand Reach - Get your brand out there.
- 5,000 copies delivered to 300+ locations across Auckland, Wellington, and Christchurch. Digital reach estimated at 50
- How frequent is your brand reaching new Kiwis?
- When is your brand reaching new Kiwis? Before they arrive? Within the first 14 days of their arrival?
- Which KOL is helping your brand to reach new Kiwis?
Brand Credibility - Reputation precedes everything.
- The only newspaper with independent editorial policy
- How consistently frequent is your brand reaching new Kiwis?
- Is your brand appearing on a media platform that is credible and reputable?
- Is your brand working with trusted professionals who reflect the type of clients that your brand wants to target?